Situated in the old railway station building in Great Brak River – South Africa, Transkaroo is the sort of restaurant that reminds you of home cooking with a lot of passion.
All dishes are made from scratch and with local fresh produce.
De Vette Mossel Grootbrak
De Vette Mossel (The Fat Mussel) offers much more than perfectly prepared seafood – this is an experience – in unusual and informal surroundings with traditional Cape fishing culture – in true West Coast Style.
Peperboom offers a friendly, family like atmosphere where people meet for both business and pleasure and to relax in the company of exceptional cuisine. Experience an early morning Farmers Breakfast or designer omelette accompanied with a steaming cappuccino on the deck or cosy corner table inside.
Peperboom Restaurant and Deli
GREAT BRAK and THE GARDEN ROUTE
Welcome to the Official Website of Great Brak River village, which nestles in a perfect Garden Route setting situated midway between George (30 km) and Mossel Bay (27 km).
Great Brak Info is a privately owned marketing platform which offers a dedicated service to promote Great Brak River, the nearby Fragrance Route, and the Midbrak area.
DISCOVER THE GARDEN ROUTE
Green, glorious and enchanting
GARDEN ROUTE TRAIL
Magnificent Trees of the Garden Route
WHY GO ANYWHERE ELSE?
The beautiful Garden Route in South Africa, extending 300 km along the south and south east coast and extends from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape to the Storms River in the Eastern Cape.
This spectacular coastline is dotted with excellent beaches, lagoons, lakes and rolling hills leading up to the Outeniqua and Tsitsikamma mountain ranges dividing the Garden Route and the Little Karoo. It is an area of outstanding natural beauty and its forests, spectacular seascapes and moderate weather are legendary.
The ancient indigenous forests that hug the coast from Wilderness to Knysna offer adventure trails and hiking, bird watching, canoeing on the rivers and lakes, beautiful walks to view the enormous yellow-wood tree that’s over 600 years old. Whatever your passion, you will love this amazing area.
This is the reason why national and international guests return year on year to enjoy this beautiful area.
BEACH AND HARBOR WALKS
HORSE BACK SAFARIS
With so much to do in and around the beautiful Garden Route please contact us to find out more.
Great Brak River:
● Brothers Coffee Roastery: www.brotherscoffee.co.za
Enjoy a freshly roasted and brewed cup of coffee at this beautiful roastery. Cupping (coffee tasting) sessions can be arrange with Ben, the owner.
● Botlierskop Private Game Reserve: www.botlierskop.co.za/
Botlierskop activities for Day visitors include spa treatments, horseback safaris, sunset game drives, lunch and dinner at the restaurant, etc
● Hiking Trails along the beaches and Rivers: http://greatbrakriver.co.za/item/hiking-trails/
7 Hiking trails listed in and around Great Brak River
● Grasshopper Shoe Factory: http://www.grasshoppers.co.za/contact-us/
Grasshoppers is now one of South Africa’s most recognizable names, “it’s a brand that transcends, age, social and economic divides and it is a 100% proudly local, quality product”, says Head of Group Marketing, Stuart Hopwood who explains that the Grasshoppers factory both directly and indirectly employs some 1000 local craftsmen (some of whom are third generation artisans) living in Great Brak and the surrounding Southern Cape area.
● Rococo Belgium Chocolatier: http://www.lachocolaterierococo.co.za/
A variety of beautifully crafted hand made Belgium chocolates
● Art Galleries
● Pristine beaches
● Salty River Beerhouse: https://web.facebook.com/saltyriverbeerhouse/?_rdc=1&_rdr
Craft Beerhouse situated in Kleinbrak. Craft beers, Ciders,Gins on Tap and various Craft bottled options. Pizzas made fresh at a child friendly venue.
● The Transkaroo Restaurant: https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g1475549-d2145674-Reviews-Transkaroo_Restaurant-Great_Brak_River_Mossel_Bay_Western_Cape.html
Transkaroo dishes up plates full of passionately created South African cuisine. The vaulted wooden ceilings, delicate ostrich egg chandeliers, and rustic wooden benches that are perfect for al fresco dining on a warm evening or sunny afternoon, all serve to create a warm, relaxing atmosphere that feels a little more special than the norm when you enter
● The Fragrance Route: https://mobile.facebook.com/Fragrance-Seekers-1978299425533880/
Mossel Bay: 24km
● Shark Cage diving: Mossel Bay on the Garden Route has probably the most accessible Great White Sharks in the world. The bay is very much protected in the winter months and the sea conditions are normally calm and comfortable. Seal Island in Mossel Bay is only 2km from the harbour and very close to the local beach. The ride to the island takes only 10 minutes so is ideal for people worried about sea sickness. In the summer months the boat works with the sharks on the far side of the bay which is a 20-30 minute ride and most of the days the conditions are good. https://whitesharkafrica.com/contact/
● Freaking Fast Waverider – A new & exciting activity (10-15 minutes) High adrenaline, high speed and wave jumping boat trip that can accommodate up to 12 people from ages 10+. Departing from Mossel Bay Harbour Waterfront , the trip will take you around Seal Island at speeds that may exceed 120 KM/H (weather and sea conditions permitting). https://freakingfastwaverider.co.za/
● Whale watching
● Wine Tastings with:
Reed Valley: https://reedvalley.com/
Boland Cellars: https://www.boplaas.co.za/tasting-rooms/
● Sandboarding: Welcome to the world-famous ‘Dragon Dune’ – the biggest and longest sandboard ride in South Africa. Situated on private land, this ‘beast’ provides the ultimate ride on sand, similar to snowboarding. We cater for everyone, corporates, oil sheikhs, beach-bums, school groups, skiers, teambuilding, tour operators and everyone in between. https://www.dragondune.com/
● 2 Water parks with indoor heated pools – Diaz Beach & Hartenbos
● Walk with giraffes: Brand new in the Garden Route www.gardenroutesafaricamp.com
● A gin making experience with Inverroche & Cafe Gannet: Yes, you can make your own gin! Why not give it a try? Make a gin school booking with us! www.cafegannet.co.za
● Deep Sea fishing adventures: www.deepseaadventures.co.za
● The Good shed: https://web.facebook.com/pages/The-Goods-Shed-Indoor-Flea-Market/252085485185209?_rdc=1&_rdr
George: 26km from Ilita Lodge
● World renowned golf courses such as Oubaai; George Golf Club and Fancourt
● Kayak Kaaimans: https://web.facebook.com/kaaimanskayakrental/?_rdc=1&_rdr
● Strawberry Farm: Visit Redberry Farm for a delightful family outing. Activities include strawberry picking, the largest permanent hedge maze in the Southern Hemisphere https://www.redberryfarm.co.za/
● George Farmers Market
● Outeniqua Power Van & Old Railway Museum
● Boat Cruises: Featherbed Co. gives visitors to the Garden Route ‘an unforgettable experience on the Knysna Lagoon’. The Lagoon, more accurately defined as an estuary, has five fresh water rivers flowing in from the surrounding Outeniqua Mountains meeting with the surge of sea water from the Indian Ocean through the mighty headlands – known as the ‘Knysna Heads’ – the grand sandstone cliffs towering above the entrance to the Knysna Lagoon. http://www.knysnafeatherbed.com/
● Knysna Elephant Park: Visitors to the park are privileged to have a personal encounter with our gentle giants, and leave having gained a new-found respect for these animals, as well as a better understanding of the African elephant and its plight across the continent. https://knysnaelephantpark.co.za/
● Explore the Knysna Heads: https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Attraction_Review-g312664-d2300254-Reviews-Knysna_Heads-Knysna_Western_Cape.html
Oudtshoorn: 78km from Ilita Lodge
● Cango Caves: 29km from Oudtshoorn, at the head of the picturesqueCango Valley, lie the spectacular underground wonder of the Klein Karoo – the Cango Caves. Situated in a limestone ridge parallel to the well known Swartberg Mountains, you will find the finest dripstone caverns, with their vast hallsand towering formations www.cango-caves.co.za
● The Cango Wildlife Ranch: The facility has been in existence for 30 years and currently comprises of over 90 different species of animals and 100 full-time staff. They provide guided tours which are fundamental in their education programs, giving each species a voice, and enlightening the public on animal and environmental issues. https://www.cango.co.za
● Meerkat Adventures: Meerkats are part of the so-called Shy 5 which also includes the bat-eared fox, the aardvark, porcupine and aardwolf. The meerkat tours last between 2-3 hours and booking is essential. Upon arrival at the meerkat burrows, guests are treated to a hot cup of coffee, after which they are issued with a lightweight aluminum chair to sit in while observing the meerkats as they come out of the burrow into the sunshine and then go about their daily routine of foraging and frolicking. These habituated wild animals are never fed or handled by humans. www.meerkatadventures.co.za/
● Safari Ostrich Farm: Enjoy a fun filled, interactive ostrich farm experience.Take a ride on the only Ostrich Tractor Safari in South Africa to view the Kenyan (Massai) ostrich, Zimbabwean Blue and South African Ostriches. Go into the chick rearing compartment and view chicks in various stages of development. www.safariostrich.co.za
● Buffelsdrift Game Lodge: The Spa, Bush Safaris, Elephant Experiences, Lion Experience, Meerkat Safaris, Stargazing, www.buffelsdrift.com
Stilbaai (a true hidden – nature lovers – gem): 109km
● Inverroche Distillery – the most amazing Gin collection: Yes, you can make your own gin! Why not give it a try? Make a gin school booking with us!http://inverroche.com/za/contact-us/ginschoolbookings/
● Kasselshoop Cheese Factory – for delicious hand crafted cheese and wine pairings: Kasselshoop’s traditional cheese is produced on the Kasselman family farm, Klein Soebattersvlakte. The farm is situated on route to Stilbaai, the well know holiday resort in the Southern Cape. Here, in the heart of “fynbos” country, four generations of Kasselman’s have been breeding Jersey’s known for the rich and creamy milk they produce.https://www.kasselshoop.co.za/
● Hiking Trails along the beach and river
● Ancient Khoisan Fish Traps
Get in touch
RECEPTION: +27 44 620-4143
EMERGENCY CONTACT: +27 72 241 1341